Thursday, August 21, 2008

Owen Goes to Kindergarten

8/22 Updated with a picture of Owen when I picked him up from school on the first day.



Today was the first day of kindergarten. I thought it would be easy. I thought since Owen attended OCSI last year and was in an all day program it wouldn't seem like such a big step to start K5 but I was wrong. Yesterday I found myself in a daze of flashbacks coupled with running around like crazy making sure Owen had everything that would make his first day of school great. You know things like new underwear, a new cup, and a few thousand pieces of candy to put in the treasure chest I was going to hide for him for when he got home.

I was doing laundry and I actually found myself smelling his t-shirts and hugging them as if he were in them. I watched him playing with his friend, Taryn, and all I could see was that huge baby grin he used to have. We went to buy him new underwear because I thought he should graduate to the big boy size instead of his old size 4T's. That about threw me over the edge. You can't buy size 5, you have to buy size 6. He's not six, he's barely five and why are they trying to make my boy older faster than he has to be. Then I started feeling sorry for myself because I was going to have to drop him off for the first day by myself, again. I understand that it is hard for Jeff to get away from work, but I felt like we needed him. Or at least I needed him. I was enrolling my baby to start his life and I wanted some support. I didn't want to have to face the tears by myself again. Owen's or mine.

So we got everything packed up. Clothes laid out. And went to bed. It wasn't a good night's sleep. Every time I woke up I would pray for O and his teacher and that the first day would go well. The morning went smoothly. My sweet friend Erin made O muffins for breakfast and Owen got to watch a video that Aunt Heather and Uncle Brent made for him. He was so excited to see that baby James was excited for him to go to kindergarten. So we were off. There were no tears or even attempts to get out of going. When we got to the school we went to find out who Owen's teacher was and he is in Mrs. Ikehara's class. She is a very sweet lady and I am completely comfortable with leaving Owen in her care. As we were waiting for the orientation to begin I started to feel at peace. We were greeted by the Principal, Mrs. Bezner who I greatly admire. She is a neat lady. We also were able to hang out with our Pastor and his wife who were there with one of their sons. They are always encouraging to be around. I knew without a doubt this was the right choice for Owen and I was praying the goodbye would go well. We were told to keep the goodbyes short and to turn and walk away. I knew that would be the best idea so I tried to stick to the plan. O did have some tears in his eyes, but I told him I loved him and that I would see him at 3pm. Alison hugged him and said bye O. We turned and walked out the door. We had to put our shoes on outside the class and another mom came and said "Owen's crying". I wanted to tell her to shut up, but I just smiled and said "I know, he'll be OK". We walked to the car and headed home. I only shed a few tears this time.

When we went to pick up my O I was hoping for a good report. He was smiling when I spotted him and I knew that was a good sign. When he got in the car he said he had a good day and that he only cried for a few minutes and then he was OK. God answered our prayers. I'm looking forward to seeing O grow and learn throughout this year. And I'm glad the first day is over. Now I'm going to go get some sleep!

I was going to post a first day picture but it won't let me for some reason. If you can stand the suspense I'll try to do it tomorrow.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Breathe and Pray Momma...Breathe and pray! I don't think it ever gets easier...O-dog is going to do great!! He has no choice! Great job for being so strong! A few tears and it was over! Besides, your the best pirate this side of Old Lester!! Sweet Dreams...

AHolthaus said...

hey kristen - i read your whole blog and loved it. Maddie started kindergarten too, and Tyler is in 2nd grade. Jacob is 2! send me your email please.
Andrea Holthaus