Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Can You Say Jet Lag?

Fourteen hours on a plane was much better than I expected. Thank God for economy plus seating and free wine on international flights. As always Owen was a terrific traveler. Alison has some areas for improvement but all in all she was good. The fourteen hour flight wasn't bad, but getting to that second flight was an adventure. One day I hope to speak a little Japanese but I'm quite sure I'll never be able to read it. I'm so thankful that they put English on the signs too or we might still be wandering around Tokyo's airport. Jeff has some funny stories about me interacting with the Japanese immigration people. Once we got to our second flight we all crashed. Our sponsors picked us up and brought us to our hotel. We got here around 11:15pm and Jeff had to be up and ready by 7:15am. We've been going non stop since then looking for cars, dealing with the housing office, newcomer's orientation, driving tests etc. We are now both licensed Okinawa drivers. Scary!We don't have cars yet but I'm sure we'll post some pictures when we get them. We're excited about all the fun things to do here. It is quite beautiful and green. We went to our first Japanese restaurant last night and it was great. We're running on fumes. THe kids keep waking up at 2am and playing until about 6am and going back to sleep. It's getting old. We have no where to be in the morning since it is Thanksgiving and for that I am thankful. I'm praying for a full nights sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi you guys,
I just wanted to let you know I've been following your blog. I've prayed for you guys and your new journey to Japan. We had friends there that LOVED it. They also didn't have two young children so that made them a tad-bit more free. They said that your part of Japan is pretty nice compared to where the aircraft carriers are. Phil was there for some Navy conf. not too long ago. Enjoy your new adventure and know you are prayed for. Blessings, Kari Pascoe (from church and the YMCA) :)

Anonymous said...

Glad that you made it safely! I can't believe you already have a driver's license and a van. Can't wait to take a ride in the curtain-mobile. Love & Miss you- Rachel