Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Marines and God

I still don't think I have the time or frame of mind to write a good post about all that has been going on. It's still sinking in everyday that we live in Japan. Jeff has all but mastered driving on the left side of the road. I haven't tried it yet. I'm saving my debut for when my "super charger" minivan arrives. We should be able to pick it up on Tuesday. Oh yes I am the proud owner of a toyota estima minivan. You've never heard of that, well neither had I until we got here. It's not quite the oddysey that Jeff promised me after residency but it is a van with plenty of space and some sweet privacy curtains. I can't figure out the curtains in the cars here. Maybe they like to nap in their vans, or change their clothes in the car or I don't want to think about what they use the curtains for. Anyway we bought our van and a car for Jeff for just under $8000 which includes all of the insurance taxes, registration etc. Pretty good.

Yesterday we came home after our morning of car shopping to eat lunch and nap. Well the nap was foiled due to a fire alarm. There is a loud speaker that comes on to tell us that there is a fire on the first floor please exit the building. Owen, was so afraid. He cried from the minute he heard them say fire until long after we came back into our room because there was no real fire. We tried to reassure him that there was no fire and that even if there had been we were safe and our things could be replaced. I asked him "who keeps us safe?" expecting him to say "Jesus" because we always used to say that to him when he heard thunder. Well his answer was priceless "the marines and God". Amen. With the marines and God on our side whom shall we fear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

from the mouths of babes.. I love Owen!
(P.S...am I in a good mood tomorrow??)

Weasel said...

Ahem...what's up with the first comment?

Anyway, we miss you all so much and are glad to hear that things are moving forward. The van and it's curtains sound great. Please send pictures.

Please give Owen a big hug from me as I am deathly afraid of fire alarms as well. My father wanted me to pass along that Owen must be a future Marine in the making...Owen already knows that God calls upon the Marines first and only if they fail in thier mission must God step in to do finish the job. God is great and apparently rather smart. Much love. Nisha

Weasel said...

Hey there! It sounds like things continue to be moving along as they should. The van sounds priceless, and I am so jealous (especially of the curtains). Please send pictures.

We miss you guys so much and thought of you often on T-giving. Can you believe that one whole year ago we were all together. sniff.

Give Owen a big hug from me. I HATE fire alarms more than anything. My father is pretty sure that Owen is a future Marine in the making...he already knows that even God calls on the Marines first. Only in thier failure must God clean up the mess. Well, thats my Dad for you. Much love to you all, Nisha