Friday, January 9, 2009

Bittersweet

This military life is sure bittersweet. I love it for all the places we have seen, the people we have met, and the experiences we've had. How rich our lives are because of this crazy Navy life. But I hate it for all the red tape, the silly rules, and for all the times we have to say goodbye. Whether it is saying goodbye to family or to friends we've made at each duty station it is bittersweet to say goodbye. It hurts, sometimes deeply. But if we hadn't moved we would've missed out on knowing people in the first place and we'd have no where for people to come visit us. 

This morning the kids and I drove Grandma and Grandpa to the airport. I was worried about my O. Last night he cried about them leaving for about 30 minutes. That sweet heart of his is truly going to break mine one day. Nothing in my life is harder than watching my sweet boy hurt. I asked some friends to pray for him and I can tell they were because he did great this morning. A little teary, but he did it. I was so proud of him. I want to acknowledge that it is sad to say goodbye, but I also want to remind him to be grateful that we had 2 weeks to spend with them and that we will see them again. 

"Don't be sad because it's over, be glad that it happened." And that is what we are going to do!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Hey Kristen - so glad you had a good time with family... I love your insight into the life you are living. It is a real encouragement to me! Hugging you in my heart!