Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Lessons From My Kids


My Angels Before Church on Christmas Eve


Her grown up Christmas Dress



As I sat in church tonight or rather chased my toddler in church tonight I was thinking about Mary. I wondered if she ever tried to sit through Christmas Eve service with Jesus as a toddler. Or any service for that matter. We only think about Jesus as an infant and as an adult, but not really about how he grew up. Did Mary have to whip out the goldfish to keep him quiet. Did he try to race his cars on the pew? Did he crawl to the end of the pew just to get away and then stand up and run? Did Mary ever think Why on earth did I drag these kids to church tonight in the wind and rain?

Then as I chased Alison up the stairs to the cry room one last time and she looked back at me with that sweet grin and eyes all aglow with wonder I felt that Jesus himself was smiling at me. I felt like He said "this is why you brought them. Because I love them. Because I made them in my image and they need to know about me. You brought them here so they could know me." I don't think Jesus cares about them sitting still or being completely quiet. I think He likes to hear their joyful noises, probably more than I do.

So we raced home to get the kids to bed because it is Christmas Eve and Christmas doesn't come unless you go to sleep. I was wanting to rush through it and get to the wrapping, and stocking stuffing when Owen asked "Why is Jesus the King of all Kings?" Wow, he did hear something at church. I guess it doesn't have to be silent to learn about God. Afterall it is a birthday party so there should be some noise. So maybe this Christmas I'll try to be more like my children. I'll try to have more fun and find Jesus in the simple things. He's there if I just look for Him. I hope you find Him this Christmas too.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Kristen,
Oh, how I miss you! Finally made time to catch up on your blogging -- great job! Know you're being prayed for often. It's great to know I can count on you to just be real! Your quiet strength and brave spirit are an encouragement to me.

So - what do you need - besides a break?
Merry Christmas, my sister. May you and yours enjoy the His creation, His love, His grace and everything else He decides to bestow on you! Enjoy Him and eachother!

Love & Prayers,
Kim Morgan
Romans 15:13

Joy said...

Merry Christmas!! I am so happy to read your updates! We love reading about your Japanese adventures. I am so sorry you can't get my emails. That stinks!! Well, I will leave comments this way and maybe you can email me back?? And yeah... big game now between our teams right when you move. Maybe that's a good thing it happened now??!! Just kidding! We think about you guys often. I hope you are doing well. Glad to hear you hit Starbucks. That probably made you feel at home. Strange to think those stores are all over the world!!! Keep the blog going, it's great to catch up this way! We are doing good. Christmas was good here. Mild temps, so that was nice. Was it cool there?? What is the weather like? I am glad you got Owen in a Christian school. That's awesome. That will help with the adjustment, I am sure. Well, I just packed up the "Alison Christmas collection" that Macy wore all season long. Thanks again SOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!! Keep in touch, girl! We miss you all.