Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mommy Has Left the Building

Last night for the first time since we've been here I went out by myself with a few ladies for dinner. It was so nice to have adult conversation and no one screaming for milk or trying to suck lemonade up their nose through a straw. We went to a garlic restaurant and it was wonderful. It's the kind of place where you pick several things to order and then share. Everything was delicious and of course garlicky. After dinner we went to Starbucks and hung out for a little while. It was my first trip to the Starbucks here and it is right across the street from my base. I had the chocolate mint mocha and I'm thinking I need to go get a few more of those before they're gone until next year. It was a great outing and just the break I needed. When I got home Jeff said Alison cried for me for about 30 minutes at bedtime. I felt bad, but only for about 2 seconds. I knew she was safe and for crying out loud I left her with her dad not a stranger. She will get used to being without me again, I hope. I need a periodic outing to regain my mommy strength.

Owen and I went to visit his school today for an interview. Despite the fact that he acted totally shy and wouldn't answer any questions the principal asked she said she didn't see any reason he couldn't start in January. He will attend Okinawa Christian School International, http://www.ocsi.org/ , starting January 8th. We are very excited about this opportunity. He will be in the K4 class and he will be the 10th student in the class. He got to see his class and the other students today. The Japanese children are so adorable. They all said "hi Owen!"There are other American children at the school too. It is about a 20 minute drive in good traffic but I think it will be worth it. He can take a bus but I'm not ready to put my baby on a bus for that long. Maybe next year. The school is celebrating their 50th year this year and seems to be very strong academically. It is located up on a hill in the Yomitan area of Okinawa. It has an incredible view of the East China Sea. We think Grandpa will be jealous that Owen gets to see the ocean everyday and he doesn't.

Not much else new here. Jeff is on the inpatient service this week and it seems to be going well. We're still trying to figure out how many hours this new job is going to take. It doesn't seem any worse than residency so far and hopefully it will be better.

It's 9:36pm and I need to go watch Fox and Friends. It is so strange to watch it before bed rather than when I'm getting up, but at least I can watch it. Have a good Wednesday!

1 comment:

Amy Olson said...

Ms. Krist. You are such a fantastic writer. You have me crying my eyes out...one of those happy and heartbreaking crys that we all need once and awhile. Reading this makes me dread our next move but hope it is our last. The details are in your chrsitmas card.

It was good to "catch up" with your story. I'm proud of you sister...you're going to be just fine! All our love, amy and the boys