Thursday, December 6, 2007

Overstimulation

Sorry it's been a while. I really am tired and I still don't really know how to explain what is going on. The kids and I moved into the duplex on Wednesday. Jeff is conveniently on TAD in Guam to take his boards. He is staying at the Hilton Resort and Spa. I am staying at the lovely Government duplex and the furthest thing from spa you can get. It's not so bad now that we have had time to take it in. The yard will be great for the kids but sharing a wall was something I thought I had given up once we left the young married apartment life. Our neighbors sure will hear the good, bad, and the ugly of the Singley clan. The kids have been kind enough to throw some major tantrums just to ensure that I am thoroughly embarrassed in front of everyone on the block. Base life is a little bit closer than a regular neighborhood. We'll adjust.

I wanted to tell you a funny story. Well it's funny in that it made me laugh at myself. Monday I convinced myself I needed to get out and drive somewhere. So it's Christmas time, my kids have no gifts, where else should I venture but Toys R Us. Yes, there is a Toys R Us here. I found it with just one minor wrong turn. I was so proud. I got the kids out of the super charger and we headed into the small mall. We found the toy heaven easily. I was shocked. I don't know what I was thinking, but Geoffrey and his store of toys were all in Japanese. Imagine my shock when I couldn't read anything about any toy. All the dvds, books, etc were in Japanese. I had to laugh because after all I do live in Japan. I guess my cultural insensitivity was showing. Some toys were in English and most of them you could tell by the picture. But it was the most overstimulating toy store I had ever been to. Everything was very colorful and loud. Lots of tv monitors and music throughout the store. They also had lots of Japanese type toys like Pokemon etc that are very colorful. I had a headache when we left. And if that wasn't enough we walked through the small mall and right in between sporting goods and shoes there was a very loud, very bright, arcade. Because that is where anyone would place an arcade right? I had been warned about all the arcades/games in the stores but I had to see it to believe it. My headache got worse but Owen was in heaven.

Well it is time for this girl to hit the bed. It's been a long day. Lots of runs to the exchange and commissary and all my military wife friends will relate to the worst part of my day. I lost my ID. Yes, the one card I have never lost. The card that allows me to get anywhere in this town. The card that lets me get home. And my husband is TAD and the folder proving who I am with my power of attorney is at home on the desk. CRAP! I prayed all the way back to the commissary and Praise Jesus someone had turned it in to the desk. I packed the kids back up and came home. I wish the bad day ended there but it didn't. I won't bore you with the details just please pray for our adjustment. O is having a bit of a hard time and I'm not sure how to help him. Thanks for all of your support. I'll post pictures soon now that we have our own computer up and running.

** Oh, I wanted to tell some of you that I have gotten your emails but when I respond they get sent back to me. I don't know why. I've never used yahoo before and I'm not sure I like it. You can always leave comments on the blog and I will get those too.

Good night.
K

2 comments:

Weasel said...

I have been thinking about you all day, so when I got everyone in bed tonight (Trey is on call) I went straight to your blog. I laughed, I cried, and I am sending you a big hug across the ocean. I am not sending Jeff a dern thing as he is sitting in the lap of luxury at the flippin Hilton. What is up with that?

Toys'r'us sounds like it was a blast. Just think...if you have a hard time figuring out the merchandise think of the confused state the kids must be in...oh the money you can save.

As far as the duplex...we lived in a duplex in Hawaii and the shared wall allowed me and my girlfriend to develop a code of taps and knocks to communicate. Could be fun? Hang in there. Your neighbors share a wall as well and the unspoken etiquette goes both ways.

Hang in there my friend. Please post some pictures.

Fondly thinking of you and yours.

Weasel said...

I just got your message...if you are on line call me now!