Friday, December 21, 2007

Remembering Christmas

One big thing I remember about Christmas is my mom's cookies. I've been told that my Grandma Fox was a fantastic cook. I wish I could remember that, but I don't. My mom is a fantastic cook and hospitality is definitely her gift. She must have taken after her mother. At Christmastime my mom always made what seemed like 100's of different cookies and candy. Everyone looked forward to my mom's cookie trays. If you were lucky enough to be one of our neighbors or someone my Dad worked with than you have undoubtedly enjoyed some of my mom's Christmas goodies. I've had lots of favorites over the years, Pecan tassies, fudge jumbles, chocolate crinkles, sugar cookies, spritz, and monster cookies to name a few. I can still remember how she would store them all in tins out in the garage because it was always cold enough out there to keep them fresh. I would go out to cure my sweet tooth and freeze my toes just to find the right cookie.

The other day I mixed up some monster cookies and baked them. Alison came in while they were in the oven and looked in the window and said "ooh cookie". It made me sad. I picked up that sweet girl and told her how I wish she could be in GramZ's kitchen making cookies. I hate that part about living here. The part that means my baby will be 4 years old before she can spend Christmas with GramZ again. I don't want my little ones not to remember what a great cook their GramZ is and all the special treats she makes them. I can picture Alison in a little apron helping my mom and learning all her secrets. I guess it's best that she will be 4 when she starts baking with GramZ because really right now all she'd make is a mess. And GramZ hates a mess in her kitchen. :)

Mom still makes lots of cookies at Christmastime although she has cut back quite a bit. She will act like she's not good at it and even try to say it's just too much effort but she's lying. She is very good at it and she makes it seem effortless. Unfortunately, I did not inherit my grandma's or my mom's ability to cook and with our present lack of kitchen utensils we'll be lucky to have slice and bakes for Santa this year. Too bad we can't go out to the garage and take what we want from Mom's stash. Thanks for all of the cookies and the memories mom, we'll be missing them this year!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Not sure but I thought I had left a comment. Thanks for remembering, Kristen. It was much easier for me than my mom. She hand cut with a knife Santas and then decorated them. I at least have cooky cutters. Wish you were here to have some cookies and yes they are in tins and on the garage step. Not much has changed. Wish Alison and could be here as well. Luke and Brady finished their gingerbread house last night and we only had one broken cup on the floor . They were pretty cute in their aprons...one in a snowman and the other the gingerbread. What will I do when they are too busy to do this with me??? That day will come but I will enjoy the now. Merry Christmas, Kristen, Jeff, Owen and Alison. We will miss you. Is this the first Christmas you've missed in 30+ years? We've been blessed, right. Love you mom