Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Odds and Ends

Hello all,

We are moved in. Slowly getting settled. Now that everything is where we want it I imagine our household goods will show up just to mess things up again. I'd almost not mind the mess of the boxes yet to come since it means we will get our bed. How I miss my bed. The government doesn't believe in pillow top mattresses. Don't get me wrong I am totally thankful that the have given me a bed to use until mine comes, it is just not what I would choose should I be given a choice. I'm learning a lot about choices and needs and wants these days. It amazes me what I can live without when it is not an option. Like House and Grey's Anatomy, haven't seen those since we left the states. Oh, and The Office, I think that is on the AFN but it's last season. Today I took the kids to a park. It was awesome. So many things to climb and cool slides. One thing I have been excited about moving here was the parks. There are many more for us to find and explore. Our tree is up and it looks great, in my humble opinion. It's not as nice as my big tree back home but it'll do. It was extra special to hang my flag, harrier, and eagle, globe and anchor ornaments this year. I am constantly reminded of how blessed I am to be from such great nation and how blessed I am to have the marines to keep me safe. I'm also blessed to have the opportunity to live in another country. It is sure opening up my worldview.




I have found my self wishing for the familiarity of home. Not so much of the place but of the people. How I would love to have Kristin and Drew for neighbors. People who love us for who we are because they have taken the time to get to know us. They wouldn't look at Owen's tantrums as evidence of bad parenting, but rather 4 year old behavior. I'm longing for Joy and Brian who love my baby girl no matter if she screams or not. I'm wishing for friends who know the worst and best of me and love me anyway. It's hard being the new guy. I want our new neighbors to know me, but unfortunately they have already seen my worst. It's humbling to share a wall and a small neighborhood. I wish they knew that although I may have a short temper at times that I am fun to be with too. That although I can get fired up about some things I am also a friend who is loyal to the end. I guess I have to rest in God's grace. I have to remember that He will care for me and He will provide the friends I need. He is changing me from glory to glory and I can see growth since moving here. I just have so far to go.



Ok, so I want to say to Pam and Shelvin I can't wait for the bowl game either. I had no idea we played the Gators until I read Pam's comment on the blog. Maybe I'm glad I live across the world now. I have emailed you guys many times but it gets sent back. Thanks for all of your encouragements. Well, at least Pam has been encouraging. Shelvin, just remember "Hail to the Victors!" Looking forward to the Gator/Wolverine banter.



Aarin, I have emailed you too and it gets sent back. Sweet friend I am praying for you. I will call you soon. I told Nisha to hug you for me. I sure miss you and I'm in this fight with you. Please give your girls hugs from me. I love you!


And at long last here are some pictures

The kids on a fake Santa at American Village



The "Super Charger"



The Singley Mansion.
Ours is the one on the right, 6145 B
Don't be jealous, we've earned the privilege of living here. Actually, I think it's going to be pretty nice once I get some walls painted.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Kristen, it's Mark (aka The Father of the Ocean City Boil Boy.) I want to try to help you with your email problem -- getting all your emails bounced back is not good! I can't imagine how frustrating that is given your situation. So, I have a couple suggestions:

1) Have you tried another email service? Obviously this Yahoo deal is not working out (and btw it makes no sense that you can post to a blog but not send email successfully from Yahoo mail.) If you haven't already, see if you can send email from Google Mail (aka gMail). You can register by going here and clicking on the "Sign Up" link.

2) If you get emails bounced back from gmail, then post a comment on the blog here with some more details on what happens (i.e., do they come back right away?; is there a delay before they get bounced back?) and also some info about your computer setup and the network you're on (ie is it dial-up, DSL, Cable Modem, Local Area Network) and I can have some of my geek friends try to help you.

P.S. - Charlie says to tell Owen "hi!"