Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Why Is It...

That my children's illness of choice seems to always be a stomach bug? Just before 5am I heard Alison crying for me. When I reached for her in her bed I felt something wet and realized she had thrown up. I felt bad for her but I felt worse for me. That sounds selfish and maybe it is but we just put the little girl in a BIG girl bed Monday night. It had clean sheets, a beautiful quilt, and a "shortcake" blanket. What it didn't have was a mattress pad. I wasn't able to get to the store to buy one and I wanted to get her in her bed over the holiday weekend because Jeff was off to help me. I figured no big deal, she's still in a diaper at night so the mattress will be fine. And then the stomach bug hit. Much to my amazement the mattress was spared. It seems Alison is much like her brother and would rather throw up on herself or me than actually mess up anything in her room. We ended up downstairs as to not "wake" her brother. Our efforts were meaningless since he woke up when he heard me changing her and said "I think I could just stay up now". Oh sure, because what I really need at 5am is both my children up and about while my bed is still calling my name and it is going to be dark outside for another good hour. After a cup of coffee the world seemed better or at least more awake. We got Owen off to school and came home to the laundry and disinfecting that occurs after a stomach bug hits our home. Too bad Jeff wasn't still off to help. So now the little girl, who is feeling much better by the way, has another perfectly clean big girl bed, with a towel under the sheet (just in case) until I can get to the exchange and buy a mattress pad tomorrow. Sweet dreams my little sick one. Sweet dreams!

No comments: