Sunday, March 2, 2008

Pour Some Sugar On Me

The year was 1987, my brother had just received his driver's license and we were moving from Omaha to Richmond. Since we were driving to our new home, Devry thought this would be a great opportunity for him to get some driving time in. The only problem was that he drove too fast and too close (he still does) and we were riding in my dad's prized Cadillac Eldorado. The combination of my brother's need for excitement and my dad's frazzled nerves made for a great road trip. If you have ever had the pleasure of learning to drive with my dad you would understand that having him in the passenger seat is not fun. I've often said driving my dad somewhere was not a privilege it was a punishment. He is the ultimate "backseat driver".

This was also the summer that Def Leppard came out with their "Hysteria" album and Whitesnake had their album with "Here I go Again on My Own" on it. We listened to those albums on our trip no less than 180 times. It was getting quite annoying but since my parents didn't say anything I didn't either. Well, somewhere in the West Virginia mountains I remember my dad losing it and finally hitting the eject button and saying "turn this s*** off". I think it may have taken him that long to finally figure out how to turn it off. So needless to say when I hear songs from those albums I have some fond memories of them. I tend to turn it up loud and sing along remembering one of our great family trips.

So now we are in 2008 and those songs are classic 80's rock. The kind that you need big hair and torn jeans to really appreciate. So a couple of weeks ago I was taking the kids to church and what came on AFN but "Pour Some Sugar on Me", I turned it up and much to my delight Alison started to bang her head and pat her leg. Yes, my baby is a rocker. She appreciates the finer things in life, like big hair bands. My son on the other hand kept screaming for me to turn it down. What a party pooper. This morning as we were on our way to church the same song came on and Alison and I again started our dance. Jeff and Owen were not impressed. Jeff thinks Alison is going to be trouble. She may be, but as long as her mullet wearing boyfriend loves Jesus than she can rock out all she wants.

No comments: